Monday, September 9, 2019

Run brew cleanup and claim some disk space

The starting point was to do a scan with OmniDiskSweeper.
OmniDiskSweeper's User Interface allows you to easily navigate the directories that are occupying space the most so you can investigate what in those big directories is actually useful and what can be archived.
Beside the directories that was just fine to delete, my findings allowed me to see which ones was okay to archive to a big external disk. At the end of that scrutiny freeing the Trash freed up ~50GB which was a nice bunch :)
And then I saw Cellar occupying a lot and I've found that I had 6 versions of MongoDB. I only use the latest stable and I have no reason to keep the older ones.
So, if you like me, use brew and don't need to keep older versions of the installed applications and libraries, then doing a cleanup in brew is really handy.
For me today was ~5GB handy :)
Run brew cleanup -n to see which packages would be removed, and when you feel ready hit it with a brew cleanup


No comments:

Post a Comment